A Plea to the World

The more I read of political opinion, the less I care. The words, so translucent and fading, impress upon my corneas and melt into my brain, becoming, in time, discharged as thick red fluid from my left ear. Each word, every opinion reminds me of my limited knowledge, points to all the things I do not know, inducing – not doubt – but the increasing inability to articulate my feelings.

I know how I feel about politics and my feelings will inform my actions and voting choices, but to pore over minute detail over in-party trauma: this does not inspire much caring inside of me. My energy, my urge to protest, to instigate, dissolves, falls away, flaccid, and impotent, leaving a motivation akin to apathy.

But I am not apathetic. I know how I feel and how I might vote; it just becomes my own thoughts, held away from the uncaring world, kept to myself, away from the tide of voices begging whichever administrator to honour them with a gift of a Facebook 'like'.

To successfully communicate one's ideas in the narrow frame of a social media post is like a music lover having a favourite song. To expect life's complexities to be contained within such a limited spectrum is folly. Yes, you can write a lot on social media; but frankly who has to time to commit to writing it, and who cares enough to read it?

Every ill-expressed notion is condemned to an onslaught of scorn. It pays not to be vague, but who really cares enough to be precise? I've always been full of shit; why would now be any different?

Voicing one's beliefs is like being a Cultural Critic: what is criticism but a plea to the world to be more like you?; a narcissistic exercise used to relieve oneself of one's life long emasculation.

The commentators commentate: meanwhile, the world goes on as normal; the elite continue to wreck the country; everyone continues with their lives. It is important to know what our politicians are doing, and to hold them to account, but holding them to account moves slowly. In the meantime, opinions run quick, ineffectual, repetitive, and fleeting.

Over and Out for now, guys!

xxx

Comments